Thursday, July 17, 2014

17 July 2014 - Textbooks and Other Needful Things



To: English 1301 dual-credit students

Via: angryverbs.blogspot.com

Cc: Stacy Gillis, JHS counselor, sgillis@jasperisd.net

From: M. Hall, mhall46184@aol.com

Subject: Textbook and other needful things

Date:  17 July 2014

 

Dear Students:

 

The one assigned textbook for our English 1301 class is:

 

The Bedford Handbook, 9th Edition

Diana Hacker and Nancy Sommers

Bedford / St. Martin’s

Boston & New York

© 2014

Paperback ISBN: 978-1-4576-0802-5

Hardcover ISBN: 978-1-4576-0802-8

 

I have always recommended used textbooks for the sake of thrift; however, this year’s Bedford revisions are far beyond cosmetic, and so you will need this undoubtedly expensive edition.  Unless the 9th edition was in use this summer, I don’t think you will find a used copy.  However, you are welcome to go halves with a classmate and share a copy.  Also, search the ‘net book shops now; sometimes they offer a book a little cheaper.  Use the ISBN numbers for a quicker search.  The book will of course be for sale at the Angelina College Jasper Teaching Center, but I don’t know when.

 

Happily, the book is good, and will be a useful reference for you for some years since among its many worthy features it covers the MLA, APA, and Chicago formats.  You might want to begin with “Academic Reading and Writing,” pp. 107 – 198.

 

The instant you begin your search for this book on the Orwellian telescreen you will begin receiving predatory advertisements for other materials – don’t buy them.  For class you will need only this book, a notebook of your choice, lots of writing paper, and lots of pens with black or blue ink. 

 

About those pens - if you have to ask if a shade of ink is acceptable, it isn’t.  Black or blue – the choices are that simple.  Note the plural – pens.  A student would no more attend class with one pen than he or she would take to the deer stand with one bullet.  Pencil or variant inks are never acceptable in an English class for adults, and submitting an in-class assignment written in pencil or ink other than black or blue is a zero.  Pleas such as “I haven’t got a pen” or “No one would lend me a pen” are not only annoying but futile.  You have been told; make the pens happen. 

 

We begin each class with a journal writing assignment, and I will provide cheap notebooks for that purpose.  If you wish to bring a nicer blank book for this daily assignment you are welcome to do so, but remember that everyone reads everyone else’s daily entries.

 

BlackBoard is not available to anyone until the first class day; I have no idea why.  I find it unaccountably creaky and whimsical when it works at all, and it sometimes rejects my entries.  Instead of wasting time with BlackBoard, access my lessons and messages to students at angryverbs.blogspot.com.

 

Until term begins the only way of contacting me is through my email: mhall46184@aol.com (my Angelina email account stopped functioning last year) or Mr. Gillis.  I will be pleased to respond to emails that are written in a complete and professional business letter format (this is a writing class, after all), and with adequate information in the subject line (“your English 1301 student” will do).  I always reply to student emails unless the spelling, punctuation, usage, and content are childish, but since my Verizon service is erratic, limited, and expensive I don’t open the (accursed) Orwellian telescreen often.  I now possess a DumbPhone, but again the service is limited and very expensive.  As a result, my response to you will probably not be immediate.

 

I look forward to meeting you when term begins.  Don’t be late for class, and do sit up front – don’t be shy!

 

Cheers,

 

Mr. H

No comments:

Post a Comment